Saturday, January 18, 2003 and Sunday, January 19, 2003
Created 10/17/02; Updated 3/2/11
AppleFest 2003 was yet another in our series of railfan meets around the country. Although we have had countless Fests in the New York City area in the past 7 years, this was the third of the AppleFest series. The last New York meets were on March 17, 2001 and January 19, 2002.
AppleFest 2003 included the following:
- A ride on the Long Island Railroad's Port Washington branch
- The 7 subway in Queens
- The W subway between Queensboro Plaza and Manhattan
- The 1 subway line, restored to South Ferry and through Ground Zero just one year after the World Trade Center disaster
- The Staten Island Railway
- The Staten Island Ferry
- A ride back to Penn Station on the R route on the Broadway line
- And on Sunday, a round trip excursion to Port Jervis, NY, over Metro North's Port Jervis Line, operated by NJ TRANSIT.